The holiday shopping season is here! When you are out Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, or the rest of the season, don’t forget to support authors. Authors are small businesses and need your support for our careers to continue because the truth is we stay in print when we make sales.
So how can you help? Check out the suggestions below. And you don’t always have to spend money!
- Pre-order your favorite authors’ books. Pre-orders tell publishers that a book will do well and if that’s true it may get more support from the publisher. At the very least it will help initial sales which many publishing contract decisions are based on. Most books sell the most copies in the first few weeks after release, and pre-orders are count on the day of release.
- Write reviews. Even a short review that says “I like this book” causes the book seller algorithms to place a book in front of readers who are visiting their websites more.
- Request the book from the library. Libraries are essential for authors. It’s a great way to find new readers. Also if an author is popular at the library, many times the library will buy multiple copies of their books.
- Attend author events. Every author has had a book signing or two where no one showed up. Stopping by to say “hi” will make your favorite author’s day. This goes for virtual events too!
- Support their side hustle. Many authors have other jobs or side businesses. For example, I have my Etsy shop. Making jewelry bring me joy and I’m even happier when my readers love and buy the pieces I make. https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmandaFlowerDesigns
- Tell your friends. Love a book? Tell your friends about it. Word of mouth is still the best way to sell anything. You can tell them in person or even online through social media.
- Speaking of social media if your author has news, share it on your social media accounts. The more the news is shared the more people it will reach. Publishers looks at authors’ social engagement when making contract decisions.
- Finally, buy their books. Sales are huge in publishing. Award-winning series are canceled because of low sales. In publishing, it is the ultimate deciding factor for a long and successful career.
Pre-order Marriage Can Be Mischief, Amish Matchmaker Mystery #3, from the Learned Owl Book Shop and get a signed copy of the book and exclusive lemon recipe card!
Order from the Learned Owl https://www.learnedowl.com/book/9781496724052
You can also order by phone! 330-653-2252 / 800-968-2685
Millie is happy that her childhood friend, Uriah Schrock, has returned to Harvest after decades away. He was sweet on Millie in their school days, but she only had eyes for her future husband. Now, there’s a new spark between them, so Millie is concerned when Uriah doesn’t show up at the Harvest concert series—or for his job as the Village square’s groundskeeper. Perhaps Millie has been involved in too many murder investigations, but she has a sinking feeling. And when she and her best friend, Lois, find Uriah with the police, it seems she’s right…
A film crew is in Harvest to make a movie about a forty-year-old unsolved murder. A skeleton has been found at the bottom of a ravine—and Uriah is certain it’s his sister, Galilee. Right before Uriah left Ohio, she disappeared, and her harsh husband, Samuel, was found fatally stabbed with a knitting needle. The sheriff declared that Galilee killed him and ran away. Uriah never believed the theory, and he’s come back to Harvest hoping, Gott willing, Millie will help him stitch together the truth…
FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK
You can pre-order the title HERE!
Happy reading! ❤